Formal Letter

Subject: Self introduction

 

Dear Professor Brad,

 

My name is Bernice Tan, a student in your effective communication class. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Hotel and Leisure Facilities Management in the year 2018. Upon graduation, I worked in an estate and property management company for 2 years, before pursuing my degree in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) offered by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). My interest in engineering deepened during the course of my career, as my job scope includes working with contractors to ensure that problems faced by residents are resolved, such as electrical and sanitary issues. Hence, I am intrigued to find out the various causes to a problem as well as the solution to the issue, including uncommonly faced issues, as well as exploring other alternatives to resolving the issues. This has allowed me to develop a positive attitude and not give up easily when faced with an obstacle. Instead, I am motivated to overcome the obstacles that are in my way.   


One of my strength is that I maintain an open mind at all times. Being open-minded allows us to understand an issue from multiple perspectives and come up with solutions that satisfy the various parties though we may not fully agree with what others had said. While working, I have received unreasonable requests for issues faced by residents. However, by keeping an open mind and understanding from their point of view, I am able to come up with an alternative solution that resolves their issue satisfactorily.


My weakness is that I used to get nervous when speaking to people that I do not know as well as in front of large groups, with the tendency to miss out some information that I had originally planned to share. However, this has improved after having worked for 2 years, as my job requires me to communicate with contractors as well as residents.

 

Through this module, I hope to be able to improve on my public speaking skills so that I can feel comfortable and at ease while presenting in front of groups. Writing skills is another section that I want to improve on so that I am able to produce an impactful and outstanding report.


Best regards, 

Bernice Tan



Revised on: 3/10/2020

Read: Yume, Eryn, Angelo

Comments

  1. Thank you for this effort, Bernice. I look forward to seeing feedback from your blogging group members and will comment after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The content is fulfilled, the organization of the letter is there and I feel that there are some grammar mistake in the language use that can be improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carely, thank you for your feedback, I have read through and amended my letter.

      Delete
  3. This is a well written and organized letter as you have fulfilled all the contents required.
    There is a grammar error which I found, it should be facility management company instead of facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Eryn, thank you for your feedback. I have amended my formal letter slightly following your feedback.

      Delete
  4. Dear Bernice,

    Thank you for your sharing in this fairly well crafted and informative letter. We readers learn quite a bit about you, both for your interests and background and your views of your comm skills. I'm happy to know that you view yourself as an empathetic, open-minded problem solver. That trait will serve you well in study and in life.

    I also enjoy finding out about your work experience. It might be good though to explain in more detail what you did there in terms of your job scope and how that influenced your interest in engineering.

    There are a few language issues that you need to address to make this a more impactful effort:

    1. word/phrasing
    -- Besides, it also made me ... > (wrong transition word)

    -- This has attributed to the positive attitude... > (word choice?)

    2. caps > see https://wmich.edu/writing/rules/capitalization

    I look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad, sincere apologies for the lapse in response. Thank you for your comments, I have amended my formal letter, and will continue to amend it as I learn through your lessons.

      Bernice

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Summary

Sustainable technologies (Summary & reader's response - Draft 1)